SOLD. Old Shed, Coonanga Homestead
Coonanga Homestead, Strathmerton. Vic
Oil on Canvas
60cm x 30cm
64cm x 34cm framed size
Copyright: Gayle Reichelt
Coonananga Homestead is Heritage Listed. See information below.
High Resolutions prints are available for this image on archival paper, stretched canvas or Face Mounted Acrylic. Contact Gayle to discuss size and support.
This painting is curretly in the process of being framed. Framed price will be $700.00
Currie sold Coonanga to James Stewart in 1886. Stewart held the property until 1889 when he sold it to schoolteacher Willam Whyte, a well-known local figure in the district. In 1933 the property passed to his son William Adam Campbell Whyte. Whyte, who was a leading member of the Numurkah Methodist Church, lived at Coonanga until 1952. Whyte sold Coonanga to Henry J Lang who did not live on the property and frequently worked abroad. In its unoccupied state, the house fell into disrepair. The Numurkah Historical Society approached Lang, who was by this time living in Israel, with a view to preserving the old house. In 1976, Lang's widow donated Coonanga on a reduced area to the society.
How is it significant? Coonanga Homestead is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant? Coonanga Homestead is of architectural significance as one of the largest timber slab homesteads in Victoria and also significant for the refinement of its sawn horizontal timber slab construction. It is notable for the unusual use of stud framing to the interior for the fixing of the conventional lathe and plaster internal linings. The canted bay form to the principal rooms is rarely seen in buildings employing horizontal timber slab construction.
Coonanga Homestead is of historical significance for its associations with its first owner pastoralist George Currie through his partnership with his brother John Currie at Larra station, the home of one the foremost merino studs in Australia. George Currie also had a strong association with the merino breed and was well known in pastoral circles as an enthusiastic breeder of high class fine wool merinos. The site is historical interest as part of the Strathmerton (or Ulupna) pastoral run owned from the early 1840s by entrepreneur Benjamin Boyd.
Adapted from Heritage Victoria Statement of Significance: 29/07/2013